Sedge Mat Making & Meal with a Local
Arrive at the home of a host family in the Vietnamese countryside by the river, and learn to make a sedge mat. Sedges are grass-like plants that grow in wet soil, and have been used to create many things in human history. Create a mat to your liking, with expert guidance from your host.
Travel through the countryside of Hoi An to reach the home of your host family in the Vinh Commune. Located along the river bank, many families here grow sedge as a mainstay. Learn to create your own sedge mat, choosing the pattern and shape of the mat with planning assistance from your host.
For centuries, the sedge mat has played an important role of utility in Vietnam. Villages along the riverbanks have sprung up to grow, harvest, and weave the sedge plant into thatched roofs and mats, providing a sustainable means of livelihood for thousands of people.
The process of weaving a sedge mat is relaxing, offering the perfect outlet to relax and de-stress from the fatigue of traveling. Your host ensures you have the resources and support to create a great final product. During your time with the family, enjoy a home-cooked meal and get the opportunity to help with the preparation.
- Small-Group Halong Bay Day Cruise
- Small-Group Saigon Night Tour & Dinner Cruise
- Local Flavors Food Walking Tour
- Small-Group Full-Day Mekong Delta Cruise
- Small-Group Half-Day Tour of Cu Chi Tunnels
- Half-Day Cu Chi Tunnels Tour
- Mekong Delta, My Tho & Ben Tre Tour
- Halong Bay Full-Day Boat Cruise
- Cu Chi Tunnels Excursion
- Small-Group Half-Day Ho Chi Minh City Tour