Bamboo Root Sculpture Workshop
Bamboo has always had an integral place in Vietnamese culture, and this workshop lets you try your hand at transforming this iconic plant into a piece of art. Join a talented local artist for a chance to learn the age-old craft of creating a sculpture out of the versatile bamboo root.
When you arrive, you find the bamboo already washed, dried, and ready for you to work with. Your host for this course has developed a unique twist to the age-old art, taking the roots and incorporating their little hair-like shoots to create the hair or beard of a bust that is carved onto the bamboo stump.
Start with a short practice session to get a feel for the bamboo and your chisel before it's time to start carving. Listen to your host's instructions and see how the root gradually starts to take form. You can let your instructor handle finer details like the figure's eyes and the edges of its nose, but if you're feeling confident enough, feel free to go at it.
Once the main chiseling is done, complete your creation with sandpapering to put the finishing touches on your own bamboo root-carved bust.
- Small-Group Halong Bay Day Cruise
- Small-Group Saigon Night Tour & Dinner Cruise
- Local Flavors Food Walking Tour
- Small-Group Full-Day Mekong Delta Cruise
- Small-Group Half-Day Tour of Cu Chi Tunnels
- Half-Day Cu Chi Tunnels Tour
- Mekong Delta, My Tho & Ben Tre Tour
- Halong Bay Full-Day Boat Cruise
- Cu Chi Tunnels Excursion
- Small-Group Half-Day Ho Chi Minh City Tour