Chuc Thanh Pagoda
Hoi An Attractions0
Chuc Thanh Pagoda is the oldest and most revered Buddhist pagoda in Hoi An, boasting a mix of traditional Vietnamese and Chinese architectural designs in a tranquil garden setting. Located two kilometres north of Hoi An Ancient Town, it was founded by Monk Minh Hai of China in 1454.
Throughout the years, the two-storey temple has undergone several renovations, but its original structure remains mostly intact. Within the temple grounds, you can find a number of intricate animal carvings, lacquered pillars, mural paintings, and signage etched in ancient Chinese characters.
- Private Cooking Lesson & Home-Hosted Meal
- Private Half-Day Hội An Eco Tour & Cooking Class
- Market Boat Tour & Cooking Class with Local Guide
- Private Thu Bon River Bicycle Ride & Eco Tour
- Half-Day Hội An Eco Tour & Cooking Class
- Fish Like a Local Tour on the Cua Dai River
- Bamboo Sculpture Workshop
- Small-Group Hoi An Food Adventure
- Hoi An Motorbike Street Food Tour
- Explore Hội An Town & Tra Que Vegetable Village
Deities Tam The Phat, Di Lac, and La Han are kept within the main prayer halls while a marble statue of Guan Yin (Goddess of Mercy) is set at the front courtyard. Surrounding the pagoda are 16 grave towers of eminent monks in Hoi An, such as Minh Hai, Thiet Tho, and An Bich.
Widely regarded as the birthplace of the Vietnamese-Buddhist “Thien Tam Te” religion, Chuc Thanh Pagoda is especially busy during annual festivities such as Tet and Lunar New Year, where you can witness its resident monks and local pilgrims praying to deities. Several antique ritual objects are still in use to this very day, including a 200 year-old stone gong, a carp-shaped wooden gong, and several bells.
Easily accessible via bicycle, Chuc Thanh Pagoda is worth a stop for those looking to explore beyond Hoi An Ancient Town. As with any place of worship around the world, do dress appropriately (no tank tops, shorts, or miniskirts) when visiting Chuc Thanh Pagoda.
Chuc Thanh Pagoda
- Opening Hours: Daily 08:00 – 18:00
- Address: Khu Vuc 7, Phuong Tan An, Hoi An
You May Also Like